Thread: Help! I am passionately PRO-CHOICE and my school is demanding that I write cont. -->

Julia is offline Junior Member Read Rules in Main Forum Before Posting

Thanks

Default Help! I am passionately PRO-CHOICE and my school is demanding that I write cont. -->

a term paper against abortion and attacking my own position(this is so sick to me) and stating that abortion is unconstitutional! I am in the 12th grade and I attend a Catholic School. They have arranged it so that this anti-abortion paper is the only writing assignment in the whole third semesterof my governemnt class , so if I get an "f" it would look really bad. I'm a straight A student with a 4.0 GPA and I'm interested in applying to Sarah Lawrence , Wellesley , etc. and I just can't afford to have an "f" because these schools are so competitive and selective. Besides , I've never been graded an "f" in my life. I've asked some other girls my age what they would do and their advice to me was to go ahead and write it. I was sad to hear this response from girls but , I'd recently read how the current anti-abortion movement has so many young girls in it now. I feel that I have more in common with feminists from the original movement who acted out of principle rather than caved under pressure. It's not even like the school is asking for both sides of the issue to be investigated or detailed , they want me to attack my own beliefs! I don't know what to do , I just can't write a paper denouncing my core beliefs and principles but , I want to go to college. I would feel so guilty , like a sell out. I've been so upset about this since I found out I would be forced to take the school's position. It's really being forcefed. What an oppressive school.
    It's not like Sara Lawrence or Wellesley would know , or see in my transcripts, that I received an "f" because of my principles clashing with the doctrine of the school. Instead , they would only see an "f" in the third semester of government which would reflect poorly on me.

I used to think that a student could afford to get a couple of "f's" out of principle (Say, like , refusing to dissect the frog , etc.) in their ENTIRE high school years but, I guess not, seeing as how hard it is getting into a good college. I think situationss like this are creating a culture of zombies who don't think for themselves. This has made me no longer consider myself a Catholic. I was already one of those people who followed up the "I'm Catholic." with "But I disagree with 99.9% of the Church's positions."

I'm wondering if I should just write the paper citing the positions of the anti-abortionists and referencing them as "the ani-abortionists" and , obviously , not writing from the position of being a subjective p.o.v. Basically , I would be referencing them as being totally outside of where I stand(without explicitly doing so) , like an objective view of their postion. That way , I might get something below an A but not an F grade. It's so unfair to me though because , I wanted to maintain my 4.0 GPA and if I don't get an A in the third semeste , that would be loweredr Isn't it something that a student's chances of getting into a good college are contingent uponthem being brainwashed into believing what a select group believes?

Any help or advice on this subject? Does it sound like I have any other choices? What would you do?

I'm literally so upset by this that I've made myself sick.

Thank you so , so much for any help.
    Last edited by Julia; 04-23-2010 at 03:00 AM.

Thanks

I say you turn the writing assignment on its head. They want you to write why abortion is wrong, do it!
    Say it's because the bible says it's wrong, then cite passages in which god commands his people to rip open pregnant women and smash their little ones on the rocks. Clear god must be pro life.
    Then explain why the US government should have to obey god because America is a theocracy. Cite the first amendment and the Treaty of Tripoli.
    Then say that fetuses are full persons and able to think and feel and experience the world, while women are not and are just incubators with legs and only good for making babies anyway.
    You could say that pregnancy is easy and painless and a passive experience for women.
    Say how much more dangerous abortion is than childbirth, then back it up with actual statistics that demonstrate how childbirth is 10 times more dangerous than abortion.
    Say that individuals in need always have a right to use the bodies of others against their will, just like people can be forced to donate organs.
    A little sarcasm goes a long way.

Hey, at least you'll be being true to yourself.

... Or you could ask for a different assignment?
    Last edited by juliewashere88; 07-06-2010 at 07:24 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by juliewashere88 View Post
    I say you turn the writing assignment on its head. They want you to write why abortion is wrong, do it!
    Say it's because the bible says it's wrong, then cite passages in which god commands his people to rip open pregnant women and smash their little ones on the rocks. Clear god must be pro life.
    ... Or you could ask for a different assignment?
    That's very interesting. I've never heard that before. Where does the bible say that?

Thanks

To the thread starter: I think you will find that you would be more than capable of writing a highschool level paper that claims abortion is not constitutional while still maintaining your principles.

Many strongly pro choice legal scholars will admit that Roe v. Wade was a very poorly decided case. When I was in law school and we went over the case our prof who was an ultra liberal said the same thing. There would be nothing unprincipled with maintaining that you want people to have abortions while writing an article showing that it was not constitutional to force the states to allow abortions.

Thanks

Just present an antichoice view scientifically and logically. No one said you have to to agree with your assignment, did they?